Monday, 24 September 2012

Special Collections Links Return!

You may remember that earlier this year I started compiling lists of interesting recent posts, events, news, and so on relating to special collections.  You may also remember that this initiative petered out rather quickly.  I found compiling the lists by hand rather fiddly, and when I started keeping a keen eye out for links I found that there were more than I could reasonably manage.

Since then I've been looking out for other ways to 'curate' (forgive me, archivists and museums folk for abusing this word) useful special collections information that flits across the web every week.  At present I'm trying out two digital curation tools, to see if either work well for this job.

The tools I'm testing are Scoop.it and Paper.li, and I'm going to try and keep them updated every week. Scoop.it allows you more control over what's displayed: so the content is more hand-picked, but takes longer to maintain. Paper.li generates its content automatically from the sources you tell it mine, so it takes less work to maintain but is less bespoke.  Scoop.it just gives you a big stream of items, but Paper.li divides them up neatly into daily or weekly issues - I think I prefer the latter arrangement. Any how, I'll see how both work and which I prefer over a few weeks.

In the mean time, you can see my Scoop.it Special Collections Librarianship topic, and my Paper.li Special Collections paper for yourself.  Both have options to subscribe, and I'll be notifying about major updates (as I say, hopefully weekly) here as well.  I'd be really interested to know if they're at all useful, and which has better content, interface or anything else.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this Katie, I've found it really useful in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I found the Paper.li one easier to use/read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for the format feedback.

      Delete